Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Lacie's Healthier Chicken Bake

So we {try} to eat healthy at our house. This recipe can be changed up quite a bit to fit any ones needs or desires! I love meals that I can prepare ahead of time. Especially while Lindley is sleeping and then I can put it straight in the fridge until I am ready to bake it! Before we had a baby and I was working I always tried to plan out my meals for a week that way one of us that was home could get started on it while the other was still gone, even if that meant we ate at 8:00...at least we had dinner together right?!
You will need the following things{remember you can add or take away whatever you would like}
1 jar of red marinara or pasta sauce.
1 routisseray chicken {I found those are kind of expensive now so when I just have bags of frozen chicken I use that} or 4 large chicken breasts
Fresh mushrooms {really as many as you want}

1 cup of mozzerella cheese
1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese (or  you could use canned parmesan too)
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil (any oil would be okay, but this is a "healthier" kind)
 Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and has crisp edges
First things first...You will need to start cooking your chicken if you are using chicken breasts. I boil my chicken, its quick and easy. Once the chicken is done, I take it out of the water and cut into bite size pieces similar to this...


 Next I start with the mushrooms over medium heat, I cook them ALMOST all the way. I let them cook the rest of the way in the oven. This is when you add in the tablespoon of olive oil to cook the mushrooms.
 After you have cooked your chicken and mushrooms you start preparing the dish. Normally I use a glass baking dish. First you want to spray the dish with pam. (You can thank me later) Next you will put half the jar of red sauce on the bottom like this.
 Next you lay down the mushrooms and chicken like this...
 Then add half a cup of mozzarella and sprinkle a little of the parm cheese.
 Then next you would add the rest of the red sauce again, and the rest of the chicken and mushrooms, and the rest of both cheeses and your done!
 Some side ideas to pair it with are...whole wheat noodles, or regular noodles. Also if you want to be even more healthy we suggest serving over broccoli or asparagus! Some salad on the side would also be good. Or for you carb lovers (we all are) bread sticks would be good too!
Let me know if you have any questions about this recipe!!!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment